Sunday, June 23, 2019

The Rules of Efemeralism

If you ask a dictionary, ephemeral means something that lasts for only a short time. I would like to extend this definition to include things that can be done away with in a short time. Originally, I wanted to call this blog Dematerialism. However, some research told me that this concept has become coupled with leftist opinions about getting rid of status, competition, and perhaps even ownership altogether. Materialism, in that sense, apparently includes things which are stored in the hard drives of computers and in the brains of people. I wish that it had been more literal. To me, being materialist should refer to a person who likes to posses things which are made of atoms. Things that have weight. Someone who spends their life amassing likes on social media, or increasing the money in their bank account, should not be referred to as a materialist. It is vain, but not materialist.

With this great word (dematerialism) having been spoiled by politics, I instead use the term Efemeralism. It is fitting to my idea because there is a well known term, Ephemeralization, coined by Buckminster Fuller. Ephemeralization refers to technological progress that compresses more and more features, to less and less hardware. In the same spirit, I use the word Efemeralism to mean a lifestyle that aims to compress more and more meaningful activity, to fewer and fewer possessions.

Some rules about acquiring possessions:

4) Second hand is better than buying new
3) Repairing is better than second hand
2) Virtual goods are better than physical goods
1) Abstaining is better than owning at all

Is the goal to reach level 1) on all one's possessions? That would be a very poor and boring life.

In this blog, I want to explore the challenges of living with mainly ephemeral possessions.
I want to break down where material things come in to our lives, and which ones are redundant.
I am cleaning house.

No comments:

Post a Comment