Tuesday, August 18, 2020

A tip to feel more at home in a new neighborhood

Suppose you are walking in a neighborhood that you have moved to recently. You still feel like a stranger. A way to marginally overcome that feeling is to pick up a small piece of litter, and throw it in a wastebin. Preferably something that is not too icky, but say a dry ice cream paper. If you do this, you will feel a little bit of ownership of the place. 


This has worked for me several times. Other people are convinced as well.I recently took a walk in the neighborhood of my new office. I found a large piece of cardboard on the street. I tucked it in behind a wastebin so it wouldn't blow away, and kept walking. After about 20 meters, and old lady stopped me and asked about where to find a parking meter. "I'm afraid that I don't live here", I answered. "Really?", she said with surprise "it looked like you did".

No comments:

Post a Comment